Saturday, April 28, 2012

Counter Offer

Despite sending a request to the finance lady in hospital two weeks ago, I keep receiving "Balance Due Notice" from hospital. This is really dumb and irritating. It is one of those "F*ck you, we are big, you are small, we will keep sending you mail until you go tired" things, and I would imagine it does wear down a person who is not determined.

And with all of that, real problems were never addressed. I never got an answer, how do they determine the price.

It is pretty clear to me why: while digging up information on the hospital practices, I found a fascinating website by an actual medical doctor David Belk - "The True Cost Of Healthcare". It make a lot of things clear to me, such as: how such ridiculous charges possibly appear on a medical bill. Nobody wants to discuss that subject, this amounts to confessing in being part of a giant fraud scheme.

At any rate, I am about to try another strategy. I will ballpark, how much could the service reasonably cost, and offer that amount.

Here's my letter:


Dear Ms ********:

This is a notice, that I have not received a reply for my communication dated April 17, 2012. In that communication, I asked you to clarify following questions:
1. You wrote "During emergency visits, we are unable to anticipate the cost of providing care in advance". Were you trying to say that the services had to be provided so fast, and the situation was so volatile, that you did not have a chance to communicate the pricing information? Or, are you saying that it is your policy to withhold pricing information from anyone visiting your emergency room? 
2. Yes or no: do you interpret the finance agreement, as an authorization to bill me any amount, without limit, and amount is solely at your discretion?
I wanted to let you know, that despite my efforts to resolve that dispute, I have received a "Balance Due Notice" (attached). This was done despite my written statement, in which I clearly stated, that I am disputing amount owed (attached). I consider this a harassment. The notice does not address the matter of dispute, and only serves the purpose of undue pressure on me.


As a sign of good faith, I am offering to settle a dispute for $700 payable by check immediately on your confirmation. This amount offered is to cover my obligations, retaled to the ER visit on 2/27/2012, in full.




According to my research, a way of settling a dispute, would be to send a check with a "payment in full' note on it, but apparently, this technique may not be valid anymore.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for maintaining this blog and please keep us updated on the progress of this!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete