Sunday, April 15, 2012

Paper Exchange


I got the letter from hospital in response to a template from hospitalvictims.com, which said:


Here was my reply:
Dear Ms ********: 
This is in response to your letter from March 28, 2012. 
I received a document package based on which you allege that I owe you $1189.40. Please answer the following question for me, so that I better understand your grounds: 
The financial agreement does not have any details on the amount I will be liable for. Have you communicated to me the amount of future liability, I was allegedly accepting, and if yes, in what form? Please, attach the evidence that I was aware of bill amount.
As you see, I am trying to stay away from  any statements here. I am simply asking hospital, if they told me the bill amount before they go on.

Here was a reply:


Dear Mr. *******: 
When your son presented to our Emergency Room a “Conditions of Admission” form was signed by you. Our Conditions of Admission form explains that we will bill the patient's insurance and then bill the patient for co-payments, co-insurance and deductibles designated by your insurance company. Your insurance company should have sent you an Explanation of Benefit (EOB) explaining the amount you owe to the hospital and why. If you did not receive an EOB from your insurance company for your son?s visit to our Emergency Room, please contact your insurance company to obtain a copy.

She obviously never answered why did they not explain me how much their service costs. Instead, she referenced some financial agreement. Now that I'm not under stress of potentially dying child, I could re-read the agreement. Here's the item she references:


I think I might be starting to understand something here. The excuse (because it's clearly not a reason) for being so cryptic about their price structure comes courtesy of insurance paying part of the bill. That certainly could not have prevented them from telling me the amount that procedures cost.

That would have been a valid agreement, should there have been a good faith to disclose me amounts that they charge. "Here is what we will be billing you for. You also will have those external vendors billing you directly approximately for this amount, and here's why". This never happened. The whole "financial agreement" is bogus, because it was never their intention to get me to agree to certain conditions.
There was no meeting of the minds. It was just a way for them to make me sign them a blank check.

Here's what I replied:

Dear Ms ***************: 
This is in response to your electronic letter from 06 Apr 2012. 
1. Your letter does not answer my question: 
The financial agreement does not have any details on the amount I will be liable for. Have you communicated to me the amount of future liability, I was allegedly accepting, and if yes, in what form? Please, attach the evidence that I was aware of bill amount.
Since you considered me a financially responsible person, and if you were acting in a good faith, it would be customary for you to disclose the cost of procedures to me, prior to administering. If disclosure did not happen, what prevented you from giving it to me? 
2. Do you interpret the finance agreement, as an authorization to bill me any amount, without limit, and amount is solely at your discretion? 
3. Your electronic mail says: "this email is both proprietary and confidential, and not intended for transmission to or receipt by any unauthorized persons". For your information, I do not agree to be bound by that condition, moreover it is my intention to publish this case in details.
I has been a week, and I have got no reply. I would assume the letter got lost in the email, and I will re-send it another time, just to cover my ass, in case they will claim the email got "lost". There is a high chance I will never hear from them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment